By Patrick Pierce
More than 80 players in the NFL have a connection to the state of Alabama.
Here are some of the standouts from week one of the NFL season.
- Roman Harper, Saints: 9 tackles -- seven of them solo -- vs. Redskins
- Julio Jones, Falcons: Reeled in six receptions for 108 yards and two touchdowns vs. Chiefs
- Dont’a Hightower, Patriots: Five tackles and one fumble recovery for a touchdown vs. Titans
- Courtney Upshaw, Ravens: Four tackles with one assist on a sack vs. Bengals.
- Trent Richardson, Browns: Rushed for 39 yards on 19 carries vs. Eagles.
- Karlos Dansby, Dolphins: Nine tackles -- six of them solo -- vs. Texans
- Cam Newton, Panthers: Completed 69.7 percent of his passes for 303 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions vs. Buccaneers
- Carlos Rogers, 49ers: Four tackles, including one sack, vs. Packers.
- Jerraud Powers, Colts: Six tackles, all solo, vs. Bears
- Roddy White, Falcons: Caught six passes for 87 yards vs. Chiefs.
Other Alabama Connections:
- Corland Finnegan (Samford), Rams: 10 tackles plus an interception vs. Lions
- Philip Rivers (Athens High), Chargers: Completed 72.7 percent of his passes for 231 yards with one touchdown vs. Raiders.
Alabama Tonight Sports Blogger – Patrick Pierce @Patrickp13