BIRMINGHAM, AL -
Chef Mary Grace Howard breaks down the recipe for a decadent Monte Cristo Sandwich. Visit http://www.villagetavern.com/ for more information.
Monte Cristo Sandwich
Yield: 2 EACH
- 2 Egg, lightly beaten
- ¾ CUP Half and Half
- ¾ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Light Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- Pinch Kosher Salt
- 4 Slices Country White Italian Bread, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons Whole Grain Mustard
- 6 oz. wt. Ham, sliced 1/8"
- 6 oz. wt. Grilled Chicken or Roasted Chicken sliced 1/8"
- 6 slices Brie Cheese, sliced (STRIPS 3" X ¼" )
- ½ Cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla, nutmeg, brown sugar and salt until blended.
- Place bread slices in a single layer. Spread 1 TBSP. of whole grain mustard on each slice, spread evenly.
- Place 3 oz. wt. of ham on 2 slices of bread, top with 3 slices of brie cheese on each, then layer 3 oz. wt. of sliced grilled chicken on each slice. Top each sandwich the with 1/4 cup of Gruyere cheese.
- Cover both sandwiches with the other bread slice. Wrap each sandwich with plastic wrap.