BIRMINGHAM, AL -
Susan Green shares her recipe for a delicious quiche with the perfect crust. This is one to make when the family is in town. Visit http://bakeandcookco.com/ for more information.
Quiche with Bleu Cheese and Applewood Smoked Bacon
Yield: 1 each 9" Pie
- 1 Single pie crust for a 9" pie
- 2T Olive oil
- 6 sl Bacon, thick slice, 1" dice
- 5oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 C Blue cheese, crumbled
- 3/4C Red pear or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 Eggs
- 2C Heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
- Preheat your conventional oven to 375oF degrees. Line your pie crust with parchment paper and fill with pie weights. Bake just until the crust is beginning to brown at the edges, around 30 minutes. Remove the pie weights and continue to bake briefly until the crust is golden brown but not too dry. Cool slightly.
- Cook the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain, leaving as much of the rendered fat in the sauté pan as possible.
- Spread 1/2 of the shredded gruyere cheese evenly on the bottom of the pie plate, scatter the blue cheese, bacon, and tomato halves evenly over gruyere and top with the remainder of the shredded cheese.
- Combine the eggs and cream and season with nutmeg. Pour the custard over the pie filling.
- Place on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake until the center is just set, about 30 – 35 minutes.
- Cool at least 10 minutes in a wire rack before slicing.