One of the oldest buildings on the University of Alabama campus will soon be just a memory.
The Kilgore House is being demolished to make room for an expansion. The house has sat on the eastern part of the Tuscaloosa campus for 123 years, but despite efforts to save it, demolition began today.
The University of Alabama campus eventually surrounded the house that was home to Charles C. Kilgore an assistant steward for Bryce Hospital.
The Alabama Heritage magazine used to operate out of the house until it became unsafe. The structural instability forced the group to move out.
Since then, groups have tried to save the house by encouraging private investors to buy the home and move it. But there were no takers.
UA will build a outside plaza in the space as part of a new dining hall.
Historians say some of the first female students at UA lived at the house. But all the memories won't be lost. Part of the home won't be torn down. A little separate school house on the backside of the property will stay.
The University is actually going to restore that building and it will stay in its same location
1732 Valley View Dr.
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.