Food is a big part of Labor Day weekend.
Birmingham Fire and Rescue is urging people to be safe while cooking inside or on the grill.
Here are some tips:
· Grills must be at least 10 feet from structures or anything that will burn such as foliage, brush, trees.
· Never grill/barbecue in enclosed areas - carbon monoxide could be produced.
· Before using a gas grill, visually inspect and check the fuel line connection.
· Never leave the barbecue grill unattended
· Always have a supply of water or an appropriate portable fire extinguisher nearby.
· Do not wear loose clothing while cooking at a barbecue.
· Do not add fluid to an already lit fire. Flames will flashback up causing severe burns and fire damage.
· Supervise children around outdoor grills and keep matches and lighters away from children.
· Dispose of hot coals properly - douse them with plenty of water, preferably in a metal bucket.
· Stir them and repeat sequence to ensure that the embers have cooled.
· Never place used coals in dumpsters or trash containers.
1732 Valley View Dr.
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.