Dora family recovering after toilet paper sparks house fire - WVTM-TV Birmingham, AL

Dora family recovering after toilet paper sparks house fire

Posted: Updated:
DORA, AL - A home in Walker County is heavily damaged by a fire that’s believed to have been started by toilet paper.

The fire started around 2:00p.m. Monday at a home on Sonny Lane in Dora.

Cheryl Crauswell says she and her son Parker were trying to clean up after the trees in their front yard were rolled over the weekend.

"It was a pretty day. We were just outside, school was out,” describes Crauswell. “We were just going to try and clean the rest of it up, and wash the cars and things like that; never got any further than that."

Crauswell says the fire started when they were trying to burn the toilet paper from the trees. The fire spread from the toilet paper to the grass and quickly got out of hand.

Early on, Cheryl and Parker tried to put on the flames themselves. They filled buckets with water and rolled out the garden hose. But, the two soon learned it was more than they could handle.

Fire crews from Dora, Sumiton and Bagley were called in to fight the blaze. Crews worked well into the night to put out the fire.

Cheryl Crauswell says the whole time she had to sit back and watch her home go up in flames.

"Just a lot of memories kinda just going up in flames. And that's hard kinda to think about that,” said Crauswell.  

The main living quarters of the home was destroyed, but the basement and attached garage apartment was salvageable.

In the midst of this lose, Cheryl Crauswell says her family is finding strength to move forward.

“You think that you wouldn't survive something like this. But you do and God gives you the grace to survive it.”

Powered by WorldNow

1732 Valley View Dr.
Birmingham, AL 35209

Telephone: 205.933.1313
Fax: 205.323.3314

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.