Top 5 Things You Need to Know for the Atlantic Hurricane Season which starts today...
1. NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a near-normal or below-normal season.
2. NOAA predicts 8 - 13 named storms, 3 to 6 could become hurricanes and 1 to 2 major hurricanes.
3. NOAA is rolling out new mapping tools that will be used to show communities with a storm surge flood threat.
4. El Niño in place...El Niño causes stronger wind shear, which reduces the number and intensity of tropical storms and hurricanes.
5. Know your risk for hurricanes and severe weather, take action now to be prepared and be an example for others in your office, school or community. Learn more about how to prepare for hurricanes at www.ready.gov/hurricanes."